|Fetal development||Feelings at week 10|
|Possible risks||How does the body change|
|Survey 10 week||Ultrasound on week 10|
Fetal development in the 10th week
The 10th obstetric week is characterized by active growth and development of the fetus (no longer an embryo). Now the future baby is truly a child. The internal organs are laid and organogenesis is completed. The brain of the fetus is actively developing, the heart beats, the skeleton, legs and arms are formed, and the limbs move already. The future baby is about the size of a strawberry, and the head looks much larger than the body. The blood vessels are seen through the transparent skin.
Earlier, before the tenth obstetric week of pregnancy, the structure of the future baby’s skeleton consisted of softer, more fragile cartilages. At this stage, bone solidification takes place. Now the fetus needs calcium for this skeletal transformation more than ever. The unborn baby takes all the nutrients from the body of a pregnant woman.
The need for calcium in the second half of the first trimester for the expectant mother increases.
The following foods are calcium-rich:
- cottage cheese;
At the tenth obstetric week of pregnancy, or the corresponding eighth embryonic week, the placenta is finally formed in the future mother’s body. In other words, the future child is finally protected by this environment from harmful substances, and its development from this point on is a little safer. Congratulations, the critical period of fetal development is over!
Feelings in the 10th week of pregnancy
What happens to a woman at this stage of the “delicate condition”? Of course, the menstrual cycle does not resume. The tenth week of pregnancy is characterized by increased activity of metabolic processes. The body of the expecting mother endures more and more load, despite the small size of the fetus. During this period, a woman experiences many unpleasant symptoms.
- The blood vessels in the lower pelvis dilate, which is why other organs lack oxygen, which is manifested in dizziness and weakness. This is more common in women who have lowered hemoglobin level before pregnancy.
- Toxicosis at the period of the 10th week of pregnancy manifests itself as before. It will stop only by the 12th week, therefore the future mother is tormented by vomiting and nausea from time to time. To get distracted, walk and rest more, try to work less.
- Hormonal imbalance causes increased irritability, tearfulness, frequent mood swings. Write it off to hormones – then it will be easier to get used to your new state.
- The 10th week of pregnancy is a bit unpleasant by frequent desire to urinate, which will follow you throughout the pregnancy. Pay close attention to your sensations. If urination is accompanied by pain and cramps, this may be a sign of an inflammatory process.
- A future mother may experience sleeping problems due to hormonal changes and worries. It is important to create psychological comfort for a woman. A pregnant woman can listen to quiet music or take a walk before bedtime. Avoid sleeping on your back or stomach. The ideal sleeping position during this period is on the side.
The belly of the future mother is not yet rounded.
The weight gain of a pregnant woman at this stage should be one to one and a half kilograms.
Very soon, a woman will see this when getting dressed – she may need the clothes of the size bigger than usual. However, sometimes a pronounced early toxicosis does not allow to gain this weight. But there’s nothing to be scared of.
Discharge in the tenth week
Pregnant women should monitor the nature of the discharge. It shouldn’t change significantly, only its volume may increase. Moderate light or milky, homogeneous discharge is considered normal. If pus, mucus or flakes appear in the discharge, you should immediately visit a gynecologist.
Pregnant women often develop thrush due to low immunity. But uncharacteristic secretions can signal infection by pathogenic bacteria, such as gonococci, chlamydia, trichomonads. Infection can hurt the baby and even lead to fetal death, so you should identify the disease in time and treat it immediately.
A brown or bloody discharge may indicate a dangerous possibility of miscarriage. The threat of losing a baby is also accompanied by pulling and sore sensations in the abdomen, similar to those during periods. Immediate hospitalization is required. The timely intervention by specialists very often allows to save the child. Consider that a bloody spotting in the 10th week of pregnancy may appear as a result of sex or a gynecological examination. These symptoms can occur when a woman has cervical erosion.
Sex in the 10th week of pregnancy
You should not refuse intimate life if there are no medical contraindications. Sex is now not only possible, but necessary. Husband begins to be attracted by full forms and smooth movements of his other half. Do not deny your spouse and yourself pleasures of the flesh before the unpleasant symptoms exhaust you. Sex will be a pleasant way to relax and bond for the future parents. However, don’t get too carried away. Avoid excessive activity.
Possible risks in week 10
Many pregnant women report abdominal pain of a different nature. An unpleasant and lingering sensation in the groin arises from the tension of the ligaments of the uterus. But the nature of the pain must be analyzed.
If the pain is felt in the upper abdomen, then, apparently, the woman is having stomachache.
To get relief, you should review your diet, reduce the amount of food or consult a specialist.
It is more dangerous if pain occurs in the lower abdomen and bloody discharge appears. In this case, you should immediately visit a gynecologist or call an ambulance.
The 10th week is a period when a woman must be very careful. She should take a good rest at home, do not overwork, and walk more in nature. If the future mother feels well, light physical activity is acceptable.
A strong load on this period can cause an increase in the tone of the uterus, manifested in pulling sensations in the abdomen or lower back, and often severe pain. When such pain occurs, you should immediately contact the doctors.
Bleeding at the beginning of pregnancy is not so rare. According to statistics, in a third of cases, the “delicate condition” is accompanied by small bleeding that occurs with a certain frequency. A small amount of discharge may not pose a big threat.
However, heavy bleeding in the 10th week of pregnancy is considered pathology.
What can a strong bleeding indicate?
1. The threat of losing a child – miscarriage. The blood is colored bright pink, red or brown. Bleeding is complicated by aches and nagging pain in the lower back and abdomen.
2. Ectopic pregnancy. Pathology occurs when a fertilized egg is implanted not in the uterus itself, but outside, for example, in the fallopian tube. Ectopic pregnancy is often mistaken for a normal one. It can “out itself” with nagging and dull pains that are felt in the lower abdomen, as well as bloody discharge. If an ectopic pregnancy is not diagnosed on time, then there is a risk of rupture of the fallopian tube, which is accompanied by severe bleeding and sharp pain. For the diagnosis, an analysis of the hCG level is also used. Life of a woman in this case should be saved promptly, immediate hospitalization and the help of surgeons are necessary.
Cold in the 10th week of pregnancy
Doctors say that a cold at this stage of pregnancy doesn’t pose such a big threat as in earlier periods. But this doesn’t mean that you should forget about your health, since the immunity of the pregnant woman is lowered.
You should prevent and treat colds after a mandatory consultation with your doctor. Most medications are not allowed for pregnant women. It’s better to treat colds with “folk remedies” during this period.
A pregnant woman with a cold should keep her bed, drink tea with lemon and honey, various fruit drinks, rosehip decoction or milk with added butter. Flush a stuffy nose with salt water. If you have a sore throat, rinse it with the same saline solution.
If your body temperature gets higher, keep in mind that many antipyretic drugs are contraindicated in pregnancy. You must consult a doctor.
How the body of a woman changes?
Despite the fact that not much time has passed since conception, the fetus is actively developing and growing. The baby bump is almost invisible at the 10th week of pregnancy. Some mommies can see on their bellies a strip of dark color that starts from the navel and goes down. This strip signals the synthesis of melanin.
Although the belly has not yet grown, the weight begins to increase. The extra weight is due to a growing uterus, an increased blood volume and swollen mammary glands. The uterus at this point reaches 10-12 centimeters in size and moves above the pubis. If you press on the lower abdomen, then you can feel it. The placenta is entrenched inside the uterus and develops actively.
Due to the hormonal instability, a woman may begin to actively grow hair in some areas of the body, skin pigmentation and rashes may appear. It also causes emotional instability, toxemia and weakness.
Examinations in the 10th week
At the period of the 10th week of pregnancy, the woman is obliged to contact the woman’s health clinic to get registered. The doctor will confirm the pregnancy according to the hCG level in the blood, and write out directions for a number of tests, namely:
- complete blood count and common urine analysis;
- ABO typing and Rh factor blood test;
- STD blood test for HIV, hepatitis B, and syphilis;
- blood sugar level test;
- smear for cytology.
If any complications are found in a pregnant woman, additional tests for hormone levels and possible infections can be prescribed.
An ultrasound scan may be prescribed at this early date.
If there is a risk of developing Down syndrome in the fetus, then a puncture of the fetal bladder is taken, fetoscopy and chorionic villi sampling are performed.
These procedures assist in the detection of possible genetic abnormalities. After the results have been obtained, the doctors and the woman make a decision about the maintenance of the pregnancy or its termination for medical reasons.
Ultrasound in the 10th week of pregnancy
During an ultrasound, you can now clearly see the fetus. On the screen you can see the baby flexing the legs and arms, moving the limbs.
If you ask to take a photo at the 10th week of pregnancy, you can make out nails on the fingers of the unborn child, tiny ears and lips. In addition, the spine, blood vessels and nerve endings are visible.
The fetus at the 10th week of gestation has a big forehead. It significantly bulges, as the brain of the baby is actively growing. Disproportion during this period is normal. There is nothing to be afraid of.
Recommendations for the expectant mother
1. If you feel pain in the abdomen, contact your doctor immediately. Pain can be a sign of the tone of the uterus.
2. Discharge should be not abundant, homogeneous, light and odorless. If the nature of the discharge has changed, you should be examined by a doctor to rule out or confirm a possible illness.
3. If the discharge is bloody, but weak, spotting, you shouldn’t panic. But don’t forget that they can be a symptom of cervical erosion.
4. During this period, a woman may suffer from heartburn as a consequence of hormonal imbalance, when progesterone weakens the function of the digestive tract. Frequent meals in small portions will help with heartburn.
5. In the case of intense salivation, mint leaf or peppermint candy helps.
6. Drink plenty of fluids – at least 2 liters per day.
Pamper yourself! Buy new clothes, your favorite book or souvenir, visit a beauty salon, make a romantic dinner for your spouse and spend some quality time with him.
Diet of the expectant mother
Nutrition is very important at this time. It should be varied and healthy to provide the baby with all the necessary nutrients.
Fresh vegetables and fruits, fish, meat and dairy products should be included in the diet of the future mother.
It’s better to give up coffee and strong tea. You shouldn’t use marinades, eat fatty, spicy and salty foods, and sweets that increase blood sugar levels. It’s better to replace products made from white flour, for example, pasta or bread with the products from whole wheat flour.
Food should be taken fractionally, 5 to 6 meals a day. Products should be baked, steamed or boiled. Don’t eat late, after seven o’clock in the evening.
Refrain from alcohol for the entire period of pregnancy.