|The development of the baby in week 14||What happens to mom|
|Recommendations for week 14||Research and analysis|
|Fetal ultrasound at week 14|
The baby’s development in the fourteenth week of gestation
14th obstetric week of gestation in the baby development calendar marks the beginning of the second trimester. The fetus is already well settled in a womb, fixed in utero and getting better at their development with each passing day. Many women may rest assured that the risk of pregnancy loss is minimized at this time.
By that time, the fetus already has all the vital viscera that learn to function and produce the substances needed for a full life. The baby’s development in the 14th week of gestation is characterized by maintenance of the spine and bones, as well as an increase in motor activity. Some multiparous women with high sensitivity may feel the quickening of their baby at this time.
The fetus size at 14 weeks pregnant – 13-17 cm, weight – about 50 grams.
- When compared with embryonic stage, the baby’s face has changed markedly: the eyes are close together, the ears are located at their position, the optic nerves and eye bulbs are formed, the eyelashes and eyebrows appear. The child begins to grimace, express their emotions by facial expressions.
- The arm’s length is still higher than the leg’s length, but the joints on the limbs appear, cartilages are being strengthened and ossified.
- Baby’s lungs are developed: he learns to inhale and exhale, swallows the amniotic fluid and then releases it.
- The skin is covered with vernix caseosa that protects against external stimuli, while subcutaneous fat is not yet formed.
- Heart rate is 160-180 beats per minute.
- Sweat and salivary glands begin their work, the gallbladder is functioning and intestinal motility is observed.
- The urinary system has been formed, in so doing the baby urinates into the amniotic fluid, which is continuously updated.
- Sexual identity is evident more clearly: girls have ovaries, while there is a prostate gland formation in boys.
What Is Going on with Mom
The fourteenth week of pregnancy is the heyday of life for many expecting mothers. A woman might see positive changes in different directions simultaneously. First, after the first trimester, which is often accompanied by early gestosis with vomiting or nausea, she feels inspiration and peace. Secondly, along with the mood improvement, there is a will to move, desire to communicate and keep active.
During this period the many expecting mothers get back on track: they play sports, walk, travel and prepare for a meeting with their baby mentally. Weakness and sleepiness can sometimes make themselves felt, because the woman’s body is functioning to provide the necessary nutrition for both herself and the baby. But the body’s powers are quickly restored after a good rest.
In this period, there may be blurring in the facial features, enlargement of the nose and lips, appearance of pigment spots and increased perspiration.
Such changes are associated with the endocrine profile of pregnant women and with increased swelling. For the same reason, the breast is modified. The mammary glands are increasing. Their preparation for the postpartum period is under way, during which their main function is to provide the breastfeeding.
Considering that most pregnant women are not sick by this time, as well as their appetite is clearly improving, should pay particular attention to the weight gain remains within the normal limits.
Abdomen in the 14th Week of Pregnancy
The external signs of pregnancy are not yet observed, since in most women the uterus is not yet so big that it was noticeable. The abdomen at the 14th week pregnant may be more clearly evident in mothers with a consecutive pregnancy. The abdomen enlargement is especially noticeable in the supine position.
In this period, you can already wear more spacious, not tight clothes. In order not to compress the uterus and not to cause discomfort to yourself and the child, it is best to get spacious dresses or pants with a special insert for the grown belly.
On the abdomen, you may notice a line, stretching from the pubic area to the umbilicus. This pigment strip is typical for pregnancy. It should disappear after delivery. It may cause itching in the lower abdomen, indicating that the uterus grows and stretches the skin. There is a significant risk that striae distensae will appear on the body, which remain for life. Preventive measures should be undertaken well in advance. As early as 11th week, you can use special gels and creams for striae gravidarum.
There have been many changes in the woman’s body since the last ovulation, when ovum fertilization by the sperm occurred. An embryo (blastocyst) has fixed in the uterus and since that moment a global restructuring of the entire hormone system has begun, which impact on appearance of the expecting mother.
By the 14th week, weight gain does not exceed 2-3 kilograms from the moment of conception. The gain is due to the growth of the uterus, fetus and amniotic fluid volume. In some cases, a woman may have a sudden weight loss, if she has experienced severe gestosis during the first trimester. So now, when the appetite and feeling better, it’s time to gain the necessary weight.
However, you should never overdo things in this regard. Doctors are saying that the total weight gain in the second trimester (from 14th to 26th weeks) should be not more than 2 kilograms.
If the pain appeared unexpectedly against a background of good health, the expecting mother is better to be careful and to visit the gynecologist as soon as possible. An experienced doctor will be able to determine on the basis of existing symptoms whether urgent treatment is necessary. The doctor may prescribe additional examinations if there is a lack of information for diagnosis.
Pains at 14th week of gestation can occur in various locations:
- Pain in the lower back and lower abdomen. Dragging and aching pains in this area often resemble menstrual pain. They showed the uterine tonus, increased pain indicates a threatened miscarriage.
- Pains in the legs. Pains cause swelling and cramps, troubling pregnant women from the second trimester. The doctor must prescribe drugs that will improve the woman’s condition and eliminate discomfort.
- Abdominal pain. Such pains are associated with problems in the digestive process including constipation, heartburn and flatulence. They signal the need to review the diet.
- Headache. This is a common issue among pregnant women due to hormonal imbalances and fluctuating blood pressure.
The female genital mucosa during pregnancy is affected by various kinds of fungi relatively easy. For example, the most typical infection among pregnant women is candidiasis or vaginal yeast. This is a very uncomfortable disease that is marked by itching, pains and abundant cheesy discharge with a pungent smell. If not treated, complications and fetal infection are possible.
In the second trimester, the expecting mother needs to pay attention to the vaginal discharge. They should be non-abundant, colorless and odorless.
Any anomalies are a reason to visit the doctor.
The bleeding is an unconditional sign of a threatened miscarriage.
To keep the fetus at 14th week pregnant, the expecting mother urgently needs to call an ambulance. Arriving physicians are obliged to conduct a medical check-up and hospitalize the patient if necessary. If there was blood from the vagina, it is important to act quickly and clearly, there should be no panic. It is necessary to remember that the unborn child’s life depends on the timely actions of the mother and the medical team.
Bleeding at this point can be caused by various reasons:
- trauma to the cervix (negligent actions during sexual intercourse, during a gynecological check-up);
- uterine pathology (the presence of myomatous, fibromatous nodules);
- lack of progesterone;
- missed miscarriage.
The final diagnosis can only be established by a doctor after a careful examination. It is worth mentioning that in many cases of bleeding doctors manage to keep pregnancy.
Cold and Temperature
If the mother-to-be gets a cold, her main task is to fight off disease in a short time and at the same time do not harm the baby. To solve this task, it must be remembered that self-treatment is strictly prohibited. You shouldn’t follow the recommendations of moms and grandmothers, friends and girlfriends. During this period, the final decision rested with the gynecologist and therapist.
So, what needs to be done in case of a cold:
- Call a doctor at home. Even if there is no fever, it is better to provide care at home. In clinics and hospitals crowds of people and you can get another disease.
- Comply with bed rest. It is best to be in a well-ventilated area.
- Use traditional medicines. Gargling and nasal irrigation with herbal extracts (chamomile, eucalyptus, sage) are very effective for colds. Herbal extracts should never be taken orally without the physician’s recommendation.
- When the temperature rises above 38 degrees, you need to reduce the fever. Doctors usually recommend antipyretics, which include paracetamol (aspirin cannot be used). Rubdown with cool water and increased fluid intake can also help.
It is important not to forget the prevention of colds. In order to prevent the illness, you need to eat foods rich in vitamins, dress for the weather, as well as avoid crowded places during epidemics.
Recommendations for Mothers in the 14th Week Pregnant
Dear mothers of WaitingForChild.com, future and already held! Although the dangerous period of pregnancy is over, the expectant mother has to be careful in her actions and emotions. Excessive activity and carelessness may cause baby harm and endanger him. According to statistics, in the second trimester there is a high probability of causing injuries to a child due to bruises, contusions and falls of the mother. When caring for a baby, don’t forget about yourself.
Now the baby hears mom, really feels her mood and well-being.
- Talk with the baby. Surround yourself and him with pleasant people and beautiful places. Positive emotions will necessarily pass from you to the child.
- Wear comfortable clothing and shoes with a stable sole. During this period, it is essential to exclude completely the risk of falls and injuries.
- Take a vitamin complex on the advice of a doctor. The pregnant woman’s body is sorely lacking the nutrients consumed by the baby. It is necessary to restore nutrients using pharmaceutical supplies.
- Do not use medicines if they are not prescribed by a physician.
- Exercise at home or sign up for a gym. Physical activity will be good for you. Those who don’t want to do the exercises, it is recommended to walk in the fresh air.
Nutrition for the Expecting Mother
One of the most important recommendations for expecting mothers is to monitor their meals. It should be frequent, split and, importantly, useful. The expectant mother should switch to healthy diet from the onset of pregnancy. But if for some reason it didn’t work out, it’s never too late to start. 14th week pregnant is a point in which the baby’s body needs a huge quantity of nutrients.
Mom should provide them to your child, eating healthy foods rich in vitamins and trace substances:
- calcium (contained in cheese, butter, milk; it’s necessary for the growth and strengthening of the baby’s bones);
- fats (seeds and nuts);
- phosphorus and fish oil (fish and seafood);
- proteins (eggs, poultry meat and beef).
It is useful to eat fruits and vegetables, natural freshly squeezed juices, greens. Carbonated drinks, alcohol and fast foods should be deleted from the daily menu. Priority should be given to dishes, steamed or in the oven.
Even healthy food can not fully provide the essential vitamins the pregnant woman’s body. And here can help the various vitamin complexes that are sold in pharmacies. These drugs have been produced given the need of pregnant women in a daily dose of certain nutrients.
The gynecologist will prescribe an appropriate complex of vitamins, which is usually used during the entire period of pregnancy. This complex helps to cope with problems such as bleeding gums, cramps, dryness and brittleness of nails and hair, headaches, etc.
The second trimester of pregnancy is the best time to start maintaining your physical condition. The pregnancy in no case can’t be a contraindication for fitness with the sole exception: the exercises should be of moderate intensity, as well as the load must be within the bounds of reason.
It is interesting to note that many women leading a sedentary lifestyle, during pregnancy suddenly go to the swimming-pools and fitness rooms. It can be explained that the ease and inspiration inherent in this period require movement. And that’s great!
All the more, future mothers have a choice:
- swimming-pool (swimming and water aerobics);
- fitness club (exercise bikes, treadmills, aerobics);
- dance clubs (dances of any orientation, but without the risk of falls and injury);
- yoga centers (yoga, breathing exercises).
Those who do not like sports in any form should remember that the complete lack of movements can reflect poorly on the baby’s development and the general well-being of the mother. This is especially noticeable in the last weeks of pregnancy. It is necessary to make walks at least.
The intimate life of the future mother in the 14th week of gestation does not imply a prohibition. Instead, after a long time some women finally have a desire for intimacy with their partner. As has been said before, all this is related with the improvement of the health and mood of the future mother.
If there is any risk for pregnancy, the doctor will alert the woman about it and advise refraining from sex. Often, the prohibition on intimate life is imposed due to multifetation or complications in the pregnancy.
Required Examinations and Tests
The first screening occurs at weeks 11-13. During screening a woman takes a triple test (the hormones HCG and estriol, the protein alpha-fetoprotein). The examination provides a complete picture of the child’s health and the possibility of chromosomal abnormalities. By 14th week, the doctor and the expecting mother already know the main parameters of fetal development.
If it’s okay, at this point a woman must undergo standard procedures at a gynecologist appointment:
- measurement of weight and blood pressure;
- measurement of the fundal height and abdomen volume;
- urine and blood tests;
- listening to the baby’s heartbeat with a stethoscope.
In case of specific indications some pregnant women are prescribed to undergo a blood test for hormones and congenital abnormalities. If the likelihood of defects during the first screening was detected, the doctor prescribes additional examinations. For example, placentocentesis, which is the collection of amniotic fluid, can be performed to clarify the diagnosis.
Fetal Ultrasound in the 14th Week of Gestation
Ultrasound examination is prescribed strictly according to medical indications. Based on the image of the 14th week pregnant, the doctor can tell a lot about the baby’s health state and whether the parameters of child’s development with the normal values. Ultrasound is often prescribed to patients with threatened miscarriage in case of deterioration of general health or the opening of bleeding. This procedure helps to make a diagnosis with high accuracy.
The mother and father of the child during the examination can see on the monitor a clear image of the fetal outlines, to hear his heartbeat. For parents, expecting girls or expecting boys, it is important to make sure that the pregnancy is ever smoothly, and also find out the baby’s gender. By this time, the child’s genitals are already formed, so physicians can call the parents of the baby’s gender.